Every man on the planet would like to have ripped abs, bulging biceps and a chest that makes the ladies swoon. A lot of guys are even willing to do the work to make that happen, the only problem is they’re broke, don’t have the time, or don’t live within the vicinity of a gym!
No problem fellas. As always, where there’s a will, there’s a way, and I have a solution that will fit your needs whatever your circumstances, and what’s more than that, it’s the program I myself used to build core strength for six months before moving into weight lifting.
The answer is a quality, well planned out nutrition program and a fully comprehensive body-weight workout. I used only the natural weight of my own body, yet in the course of a week I managed to work out every major muscle in my body at least twice, despite the fact that I worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week (what’s your excuse now?)
So how does a man get into killer shape without going to a gym? What is this body weight program that anyone can do anywhere, anytime?
The Bodyweight routine you can use to get into killer shape anywhere:
There are 6 basic exercises: pushups, pullups, squats, situps, tricep dips and skipping. If you don’t have a speed rope, invest in one. If you really can’t invest $20 in one, you can run or climb stairs instead. Use your imagination.
Get a journal to record how many reps and sets you can do of the following, and every time you workout enter your results. You’ll see progress extremely quickly, and there’s nothing more motivating than success to spur a man on the even greater heights!
1) Pushups – Good old-fashioned pushups are hard to beat. They work your chest just as good as bench pressing, and leave you looking like Popeye in no time. When I started, I could only do 2 sets of 20. Now I can do 6 sets of 25 with ease. I don’t allow myself to do more than 6 sets, and when it gets easy, I up the reps, eg I’ll soon move up to 6 sets of 28.
2) Pullups – The bad boys of bodyweight exercises, these will hurt you on a cellular level! However, the pain is worth the gain, because very shortly your lats, traps and biceps will be bursting out of your shirt, and you’ll begin to notice the elusive V-Shape forming. Pullups work your back, biceps and forearms mostly, but as a compound exercise, they work multiple muscle groups and are highly effective for building solid, lean muscle.
3) Squats – Ladies love a man with an ass about as much as men love ladies with one. Squats will work your thighs and butt into a mighty shape, and you don’t need to labour under hundreds of kilos of weight. Just put your arms straight out in front of you, and go through the motions until your asscheeks are level with your knees, then go up. Again, I do 6 sets of 25 and up the reps every time I get too comfortable. That’s because my goal is lean, ripped muscle, not size and bulk.
4) Situps – Washboard abs await you if you make situps a part of your daily life. There may be no cooler muscle than the abs, and well-defined abs sure are hard to get! Situps will build the muscle, but you need to focus on losing bodyfat % to really make your abs stand out. Look at Bruce Lee, and aim for no less! You can do it. 6 sets of 25 should leave you hurting for days.
5) Tri Dips – Two thirds of the arms are triceps. If you want to have those big, stretching the t-shirt arms, then building your triceps is the way to go. To perform a tricep dip all you need is a bed or a staircase, place your hands about shoulder width apart on the frame of the bed, and lower your body till your butt touches the ground, then push yourself back up. You’ll get a nice burn off these, and as we all know, a nice burn leads to a nice, euphoric flood of endorphins. If you practice tri-dips diligently, you’ll soon notice your arms swelling and people looking twice.
6) Skipping – I chose skipping as my cardio because it’s highly effective in building both cardio and core muscle strength. Some of you may think skipping is for high school girls, but if that’s your belief I challenge you to buy a speed rope and try to go for just five minutes without stopping. You won’t make it. If you still aren’t convinced, track down Mike Tyson and tell HIM skipping is for girls.
Skipping works virtually every muscle in the body, builds balance and co-ordination (hence boxers use it) and builds up phenomenal cardio. Its my favourite exercise period, but if you don’t like it or can’t do it, you can run, climb stairs, swim or box instead. Anything to get your heart pumping and your muscles moving at high-speed.
So there you have it fellas. A no-nonsense, free way to build that killer body you’ve always wanted. Even a traveling salesman sleeping in hotels every night can do this in his room wherever he goes. It suits me as I’m always moving between oil rigs, and therefore it fits my lifestyle.
Whatever your needs (size, strength, endurance, toning) bodyweight work can help you get there. Now you know about it, you have no excuses the next time your mind tells you “well, I would be stacked if…”
Stop reading. Hit the floor and make it happen.
Desire. Decide. Persist.