“The bad news is that time flies, the good news is you are the pilot” – Michael Altshuler
What isn’t endless is time. Time is finite. Once you spend it, it’s gone forever, and you can never get any more.
There’s no sadder sight in this world than talking to someone who’s out of time and didn’t do what they wanted. There’s no more tragic story than the guy who dropped dead the day before retirement.
Most people will flip out and cry if they waste money, yet they willingly waste endless hours of precious time engaged in nonsense activities that have no meaning, purpose or end result. Playing Farmville, scrolling the Facebook news feeds to indulge people’s neurosis, flicking through the 600 cable TV channels that have nothing to say.
These people are the living dead, because they have not realized the true value of time. Most of them won’t realize until it’s too late, until the grim reaper taps them on the shoulder and they realize they’ve wasted their entire f*cking lives doing nothing, or worse doing what others wanted them to do, others who are now going to live on without them while they rot in a box in the ground.
Am I being negative? HELL NO! I’m stating that life is a gift and that time is precious and should never be wasted. Money is just a tool we can use to manipulate our environment, but time is the essence of life itself!
Stop wasting time. Figure out all of the unproductive, wasteful crap you do every single day, and simply stop. Replace those activities with life enhancing, fruit-bearing, productive activities that will lead to a better life for yourself and others around you.
Here are some things you can do to stop wasting your most precious commodity:
1) Reflect on death daily. This is not a morbid or depressing reflection on your ultimate demise, but a powerful tool to motivate you, inspire you and keep perspective.
You only live one time on this rock, and after you’re gone you’re gone forever. After you take your final breath, it will be just like it was before you were born – nothingness.
This doesn’t scare me or make me feel down, it inspires the hell out of me, and it should you too! What are you going to do with the insanely rare gift of life you have been given? How will you spend this tiny little finger snap of time you have been allotted on the pale blue dot?
For me, the answer has always been clear: I’m going to see as much as I can, meet as many people as I can, learn as much as I can, and leave a legacy for my family.
What I’m not going to do is trade 5 days of hell for 2 of freedom. I’m not going to spend my days reading people’s neurotic rants on their Facebook walls. I’m not going to spend my time on my knees begging an imaginary master to give me what I want when all I have to do is stand up and make it happen!
Life is for living and it’s the rarest thing there is. Reflect on the fact that today might be your last, and that once today is gone, you can never get it back.
2) Cut loose people who add no value to your life. This value doesn’t have to be material. I have friends who have nothing to offer in terms of business or opportunity, but who are funny as hell or smart and can stimulate my mind. Value is determined by you and you alone. Then there are blood sucking, negative fools who do nothing but complain, moan and bring you down. Cut them loose and stop feeding these leeches your precious time. If you don’t, they’ll suck as much of it up as they can like the parasites they are.
3) End relationships you don’t want to be in. A lot of guys stay with the wrong girl because they don’t want to feel bad. Nothing will kill your soul faster and waste more of your time than this.
Being with the wrong girl can destroy your life and even make you want to end it. If you aren’t sure about her, cut her loose. There are billions of them out there, don’t waste your time with the wrong one. A lot of relationships that were once valuable lose their flavour and use over time. Don’t make your now a prison because of decisions you made 5, 10 or 20 years ago. Stand up, pack your sh*t, and leave like a free man.
Ask yourself what value your girl adds to your life. If you can’t come up with one good thing, move along.
4) Find out what works. A lot of guys also waste time unnecessarily to pursue a goal. If what you are doing is ineffective, you are wasting time. If you are using a tug boat to try to get to Australia, you’re a damn fool. Take a plane instead!
Cut back on wasteful, ineffective activity and focus your efforts on the 20% of your actions that produce 80% of your results. You’ll achieve a lot more if you do.
5) Stop dwelling on the past and worrying about the future. Life is in this moment here and now. Where you’re standing right now, the people you are with, the sounds, smells and scenes are the ONLY THINGS THAT ARE REAL. Everything else is bullsh*t that exists only in your head and nowhere else.
There’s nothing wrong with dreaming about a better future, but don’t let the dreams suck up all your time and prevent you from taking real action NOW. You only need to dream once, create a plan, and review it for a short time daily. A lot of people do nothing BUT dream, and before they know it, life has passed them by while they were making grand plans for it.
Get your head into the present moment and take effective steps towards where you want to be. Don’t try to weasel out of this uncomfortable exercise by resorting to more fantasies about the future and bitter thoughts about the past. Be here now.
This is it. One shot. Time is precious. Don’t waste it.
Desire. Decide. Persist.